The Lightest Wood in the World? 1.1.04
WALT: Use the text to find information, and make inferences.
1. What does pruning mean? Pruning Means to trim (A tree or shrub, or brush) It is good for it to grow.
2. Why does grandma want to save the seeds? Grandma wanted to save the seeds because she wanted to save them so the possums have been eating them and there were nearly none left at all.
3. What did the boys notice about the wood? The Boys notice that the brown whau tree was light for them and it will float. But when they made the green whau it was heavy.
4. Why do you think Daniel thought it was a good idea to make rafts from the whau? Because the Whau tree is the lightest wood in the world.
5. What was the difference between the brown whau branches and the Green Branches.The brown whau was easy for them to use and it was dead.But when they used the green Branches is was hard and heavy for them.
6. Which raft do you think will float better and why?The Green raft will float.
7. What observations did they make about putting the lemons on the rafts? Write what happened to each raft when the put lemons on top?
Dry whau raft:
Green whau raft:
Pine raft: The pine raft sank.
8. BLOGGING: Find a legal image using > Insert > Image > Search and type ‘whau’.Find a suitable image and post to your blog with a few sentences that explain what the story is about. Jed's Grandma was pruning The Whau tree and The possums kepted on eating the whau tree and they wanted to make rafts.